SUMMER 2017 ILLINOIS CTI SESSION INFORMATION
Project Lead The Way Core Training Institute registration opened on April 3, 2017. Teachers should login to their myPLTW accounts to see opportunities.
Note: New this year, Readiness modules will be opened to teachers as part of a one-step CTI registration process. Readiness modules,must be completed prior to first-day arrival at Core Training.
In preparation for CTI online registration, district Program Coordinators should add "new" PLTW teachers as soon as possible to school records via their myPLTW login account.
The CTI chart below shows sessions scheduled to be held at University of lllinois at Chicago (UIC) and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Link to specific CTI course pages for more specific local arrangement information.
Registration Invoicing/Cancellation Policy
- $2,400 per teacher for two week HS sessions (schools will be billed)
- $1,300 per teacher for one-week Gateway DM, AR, MD, and CS App Creators sessions. (schools will be billed)
- $1,200 per teacher for one-week Gateway CS for Innovators and Makers. (for this session ONLY, national PLTW will invoice schools directly)
- $800 per teacher for three-day Gateway EE, GA, ST specialty sessions (schools will be billed)
- $750 per teacher for three-day Elementary LAUNCH Lead Teacher Training session (schools will be billed)
Registered teachers (and district Program Coordinators) will receive an “Invoice Authorization” email form to return to Illinois PLTW to confirm electronic invoicing contact information for your school/district. Optional parking pass fees will be included in invoicing.
-Two-week sessions --$250 for cancellations up to 3 weeks prior to start of a session, and $500 after that.
-One-week and three-day sessions--$150 for cancellations up to 3 weeks prior to start of a session, or $250 after that.
CTI Schedules and Meals
- Two-week (80 contact hours) High School Engineering sessions will begin on Monday morning (7 am registration and 8 am prompt start time), with an optional Sunday early evening welcome dinner, informal networking, and technology check-in orientation. Daily Monday-Friday classes run from 8 am to 5 pm (with some evening study sessions). Registration cost includes opening Sunday dinner, M-F lunches, and 2 extra dinners. Snacks, beverages provided.
- One-week (40 contact hours) Middle School Gateway sessions (DM, AR, MD, CS App Creators, CS for Innovators and Makers) are conducted Monday –Friday 8am-5pm (with evening study help sessions). Lunches, 2 dinners, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
- Gateway three-day (24 contact hour) specialty sessions (EE, GA, ST) will be offered 8 am -5 pm, with some varied schedules and evening study help sessions. Lunches, 1 dinner, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
- Elementary three-day LAUNCH Lead Teacher Training (24 contact hours) will be offered 8 am-5pm, with some varied schedules and evening study help sessions. Lunches, 1 dinner, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
Specific CTI session classroom building/room assignments will be provided in advance, along with driving and arrival day direction updates.
- Urbana-Champaign Hotel PLTW CTI block rates range from $104.00-$115.00 per night (plus 14% tax); schools are responsible for direct reservation and payment arrangements. Details for specific CTI session hotel blocks will be provided to registrants; see links to specific course details on chart above.
- Note that all CTI block hotels provide free parking and are located within 3 blocks of classrooms. Optional campus parking passes are available for commuters or those not staying in CTI block hotels, for lots within 3 blocks of all CTI sessions, and will be billed to schools--$36.00 for Gateway three-day specialty sessions, $60.00 for one-week sessions, and $78.00 for High School two-week sessions.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign CTI Map - http://www.pltw.uillinois.edu/docs/UIUCPLTWMap2017.pdf
- Chicago Hotel PLTW CTI block rates range from $192.00-$222.00 per night (plus 16.4% tax); schools are responsible for direct reservation and payment arrangements. Details for specific CTI session hotel blocks will be provided to registrants; see links to specific course details on chart above. Block hotel offers optional valet parking ($45.00 daily). Free shuttle bus service from hotel to classrooms available.
- Optional campus parking passes will be billed to schools-- $37.00 for one-week and three-day sessions, and $74.00 for two-week sessions. Passes are good at two parking garages, one which is located 3 blocks from the Chicago Marriott Medical Center Hotel and one which is located one block from PLTW classroom building at corner of Taylor and Halsted.
University of Illinois at Chicago CTI Map-- http://www.pltw.uillinois.edu/docs/UICPLTWMap2017.pdf
Advance Planning and Communication
- Teachers MUST bring a laptop meeting technical specifications, along with any other course-specific technology devices. Appropriate course-specific software must be loaded prior to arrival at CTI training. http://www.pltw.uillinois.edu/docs/Computer_Specs_2017_2018.pdf
- Teachers MUST complete online Readiness modules prior to arrival to CTI sessions (access is provided as part of CTI online registration).
- Registered teachers will receive frequent emails from University of Illinois PLTW prior to specific CTI sessions, providing classroom building/room assignments, driving and arrival day directions.
Continuing Education Recognition and optional Additional Graduate Credit Opportunity
- Illinois teachers are eligible to receive up to 80 PDH's (Professional Development Hours) professional development recognition for participation in two-week Summer Core Training Institutes, 40 PDH's for one-week Summer Core Training Institutes, 24 PDH's for three-day Summer Core Training Institutes. Contact hour documentation will be provided for teachers from other states.
- Graduate credit is available for additional PLTW-related Fall 2017 action research coursework and tuition payment. Online registration for the course opens June, 2017 (course details to be posted in April).
CTI courses will be available across the Midwest PLTW affiliate university network. Our office is committed to working with Illinois PLTW schools and teachers to identify training location options, and to assist with local school/course implementation and planning.
- Special note to High Schools which have trained in one-semester ICS and are now planning to transition to year-long CSE (Computer Science Essentials), as well as to new HS Computer Science schools wishing to begin the pathway by offering CSE in 2017-18 school year:
- Online teacher training will be offered during the 2017-18 school year; at this time, PLTW does NOT plan to offer summer 2017 Core Training Institute site-based sessions.
- To review Enhancements to K-12 CS Pathway information message released to the network December 1, 2016, please click here.
- Special note to Launch schools:
- Launch Lead Teacher Training 3-day training provides credentials for Launch Classroom Teacher and for Launch Lead Teacher status. Some Affiliate training locations, including University of Illinois Chicago, will continue to offer this training option in Summer 2017. Launch Lead Teachers are then eligible to provide train-the-trainer workshops back in their home school prior to and during the 17-18 school year, providing Launch curriculum access for those additional teachers. This train-the-trainer Launch Lead Teacher CTI model will no longer be offered after Summer 2017.
- Launch Classroom Teacher training (2 days) is a new training option offered for the first time at some Affiliate training sites in Summer 2017. Such training provides Launch curriculum access for these teachers back in their home school settings. To review March 15, 2017 PLTW Launch Classroom Teacher Training update information, please click here.
- After Summer 2017 the Launch CTI training model will include two levels—
- 2-day Classroom Teacher training,
- 2-day Launch Lead Teacher training— teachers who have experienced direct classroom/student engagement experience, may take an additional 2-day Launch Lead Teacher training to build upon prior experience and to focus on overall program administration and support in a Launch school. This CTI training option will be offered beginning in 2018.
For further information about Summer 2017 CTI offerings, contact University of Illinois Affiliate Director Brenda Pacey (email@example.com) or (217) 244-5217