SUMMER 2018 ILLINOIS CTI SESSION INFORMATION
See more 2018 CTI photos here (more)
U of Illinois PLTW welcomed 300 K-12 participants and Master Teachers from 25 states to Summer Core Training institutes on the U of Illinois Chicago and Urbana-Champaign campuses.
* 268 K-12 teachers and 37 Master Teacher instructors from across Illinois (Chicago to Mascoutah) and from 25 states (Massachusetts to Hawaii)
* 20 intensive 2-day, 3-day, 5-day and 10-day PLTW Core Training Institutes were hosted on UIC and UIUC campuses from June 11 - August 3.
* More than 14,000 professional development contact hours were awarded, and teachers took advantage of special campus tours, interacted with University faculty and students, and networked with other K-12 PLTW STEM teachers.
* Over 20 special campus enrichment opportunities included:
- tours of specialty Maker Space, large-scale (3 million pound) universal testing, and fluid energy research labs;
- private tours of Japan House and gardens, solar home, and UIC Green Campus Scavenger Hunt;
- lectures/faculty-student presentations on intellectual property and patents; “march of the automata robotics”; geopolymers and 3-D concrete printing research; “smart phones, smart homes, and smart cities”; soy research lab resources and tours of world’s oldest continuous corn research plot;
- sanitary district water treatment plant/environmental sustainability;
- lunch and learn hands-on activities—paper circuits, alternative energy resources;
- UIC and UIUC engineering student design team and robotics demonstrations;
- picnic suppers and local ethnic dinner menus; buffet luncheon CTI project displays and EDD jury presentations;
- self-guided “selfie photo” scavenger hunt to find historic STEM-related campus landmarks;
- and more
* In cooperation with the Illinois State Board of Education, UIC and UIUC Colleges of Engineering and other departments, and national non-profit Project Lead The Way, U of Illinois PLTW has coordinated summer institutes for 14 years. In addition, our office has initiated and facilitated year-round regional workshops/roundtables, statewide conferences, and ongoing consulting and assistance to 400 Illinois PLTW member schools.
|Launch Lead Teacher 2-day CTI||June 25-26 at UIC|
|Launch Classroom Teacher 2-day CTI||
June 27-28 at UIC
|Gateway Design and Modeling (DM)||June 18-22 at UIUC|
|Gateway Design and Modeling (DM)||June 25-29 at UIC|
|Gateway Computer Science App Creators (AC)||June 11-15 at UIUC|
|Gateway Automation and Robotics (AR)||June 11-15 at UIUC|
|Gateway Automation and Robotics (AR)||July 23-27 at UIC|
|Gateway Computer Science for Innovators and Makers (CSIM)||July 16-20 at UIUC|
|Gateway Energy and Environment (EE) — 3-day CTI||June 25-27 at UIUC|
|Gateway Green Architecture (GA) — 3-day CTI||June 25-27 at UIC|
|Gateway Science of Technology (ST) — 3-day CTI||June 25-27 at UIUC|
|Gateway Medical Detectives (MD)||July 30-August 3 at UIUC|
|Intro to Engineering Design (IED)||June 18-29 at UIUC|
|Intro to Engineering Design (IED)||July 9-20 at UIC|
|Principles of Engineering (POE)||June 18-29 at UIUC|
|Principles of Engineering (POE)||July 9-20 at UIC|
|Engineering Design and Development (EDD)||June 18-29 at UIUC|
|Environmental Sustainability (ES)||July 9-20 at UIUC|
|Civil Engineering and Architecture (CEA)||June 18-29 at UIUC|
|Digital Electronics (DE)||July 23-August 3 at UIC|
Registration Invoicing/Cancellation Policy
- $2,400 per teacher for two week HS sessions (schools will be billed)
- $1,300 per teacher for one-week Gateway DM, AR, MD, and App Creators (AC). (schools will be billed)
- $1,200 per teacher for one-week Gateway CS for Innovators and Makers (CSIM).
- $800 per teacher for three-day Gateway EE, GA, ST specialty sessions (schools will be billed)
- $700 per teacher for two-day Elementary LAUNCH Lead Teacher Training session (schools will be billed)
- $500 per teacher for two-day Elementary LAUNCH Classroom Teacher Training session (schools will be billed)
Registered teachers (and district Program Coordinators) will receive an “Invoice Authorization” email form to return to Illinois PLTW to confirm electronic invoicing contact information for your school/district. Optional parking pass fees will be included in invoicing.
-Two-week sessions --$250 for cancellations up to 3 weeks prior to start of a session, and $500 after that.
-One-week, three-day, and two-day sessions--$150 for cancellations up to 3 weeks prior to start of a session, or $250 after that.
CTI Schedules and Meals
- Two-week (80 contact hours) High School Engineering sessions (IED, POE, CEA, EDD, DE, ES) will begin on Monday morning (7 am registration and 8 am prompt start time), with an optional Sunday early evening welcome dinner, informal networking, and technology check-in orientation. Daily Monday-Friday classes run from 8 am to 5 pm (with some evening study sessions). Registration cost includes opening Sunday dinner, M-F lunches, and 2 extra dinners. Snacks, beverages provided.
- One-week (40 contact hours) Middle School Gateway sessions (DM, AR, MD, CS App Creators, CSIM) are conducted Monday –Friday 8am-5pm (with evening study help sessions). Lunches, 2 dinners, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
- Three-day (24 contact hour) Gateway specialty sessions (EE, GA, ST) will be offered 8 am -5 pm, with some varied schedules and evening study help sessions. Lunches, 1 dinner, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
- Elementary two-day LAUNCH Lead Teacher Training (LLT) and Classroom Teacher (LCL) Training sessions (16 contact hours) will be offered 8 am-5pm, with evening study help sessions. Lunches, 1 dinner, snacks, beverages provided. Registration opens at 7 am on first day.
Specific CTI session classroom building/room assignments will be provided in advance, along with driving and arrival day direction updates.
- Urbana-Champaign Hotel PLTW CTI block rates range from $104.00-$115.00 per night (plus 13% tax); schools are responsible for direct reservation and payment arrangements. Details for specific CTI session hotel blocks will be provided to registrants; see links to specific course details on chart above.
- Note that all Urbana-Champaign CTI block hotels provide free parking and are located within 3 blocks of classrooms. Optional campus parking passes are available for commuters or those not staying in CTI block hotels, for lots within 3 blocks of all CTI sessions, and will be billed to schools--$36.00 for Gateway three-day specialty sessions, $60.00 for one-week sessions, and $78.00 for High School two-week sessions.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign CTI Map - http://www.pltw.uillinois.edu/docs/UIUCPLTWMap2018.pdf
- Chicago Hotel PLTW CTI block rates range from $209.00-$229.00 per night (plus 17.4% tax); schools are responsible for direct reservation and payment arrangements. Details for specific CTI session hotel blocks will be provided to registrants; see links to specific course details on chart above. Block hotel offers optional valet parking ($45.00 daily). Free shuttle bus service from hotel to classrooms available.
- Optional campus parking passes will be billed to schools-- $37.00 for one-week, three-day and two-day sessions, and $74.00 for two-week sessions. Passes are good at two parking garages, one which is located 3 blocks from the Chicago Marriott Medical Center Hotel and one which is located one block from PLTW classroom building at corner of Taylor and Halsted.
University of Illinois at Chicago CTI Map-- http://www.pltw.uillinois.edu/docs/UICPLTWmap2018.pdf
Advance Planning and Communication
- Teachers MUST bring a laptop meeting technical specifications, along with any other course-specific technology devices. Appropriate course-specific software must be loaded prior to arrival at CTI training. (Launch teachers must bring laptop and iPad or Android tablet.) 2018-2019 Computer Specs.
- Teachers MUST complete online Readiness modules prior to arrival to CTI sessions (access is provided as part of CTI online registration).
- Registered teachers will receive frequent emails from University of Illinois PLTW prior to specific CTI sessions, providing classroom building/room assignments, driving and arrival day directions.
Continuing Education Recognition and optional Additional Graduate Credit Opportunity
- Illinois teachers are eligible to receive up to 80 PDH's (Professional Development Hours) professional development recognition for participation in two-week Summer Core Training Institutes, 40 PDH's for one-week Summer Core Training Institutes, 24 PDH's for three-day, and 16 PDH's for two-day Summer Core Training Institutes. Contact hour documentation will be provided for teachers from other states.
- Graduate credit is available for additional PLTW-related Fall 2018 action research coursework and tuition payment. Online registration for the course opens June, 2018 (course details to be posted in April).
CTI courses will be available across the Midwest PLTW affiliate university network. Our office is committed to working with Illinois PLTW schools and teachers to identify training location options, and to assist with local school/course implementation and planning.
For further information about Summer 2018 CTI offerings, contact University of Illinois Affiliate Director Brenda Pacey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (217) 244-5217