Illinois PLTW Intro to Engineering Design (IED)
Curriculum Revision Workshops
2017 - 2018
- Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 8:30am-3 pm; U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Friday, October 27, 2017 4pm - 6:30pm Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 8:00am - 12 noon; ITEC Conf., Bloomington-Normal
- Saturday, November 4, 2017 - 8:30am - 3pm; St. Charles East HS
- Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 8:30am - 3pm; Lockport HS Central Campus
- Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 8:30am - 3pm; Auburn HS, Rockford
- Saturday, December 2, 2017 - 8:30am - 3pm; King College Prep, 4445 S. Drexel, Chicago
- Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 8:30am - 3pm; Collinsville HS
- Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 8:30 am-3pm: Neuqua Valley HS, Naperville
- Saturday, May 5, 2018 - 8:30 am-3pm: Normal Community HS
- Friday, June 8, 2018 - 8:30 am-3pm: Warren Township HS, Gurnee
FREE Registration (includes workshop materials, lunch, refreshments, free parking)
6.5 Professional Development Hours (PDH)
Registration is Closed
During summer 2017, PLTW released several IED Curriculum Revisions for the 2017-18 school year.
To assist HS Engineering teachers trained in Intro to Engineering Design (IED) prior to summer 2017 with revised course implementation, U of Illinois PLTW is sponsoring hands-on IED Curriculum Revision Workshops led by Illinois IED Master Teachers Corey Duzan, Kyle Thomas, and Don Whitman. Sessions are offered throughout the state, with goal of reaching as many IED-trained teachers as possible. Funding support for the workshop series is provided, in part, by a grant from the Illinois State Board of Education to University of Illinois PLTW.
Intro to Engineering Design (IED) Curriculum Revision Hands-on Workshop Agenda includes:
- Examining the revised IED curriculum structure and APB scaffold;
- Introduction of and hands-on experience with NEW curriculum activities, projects, problems, including:
- Unit 3 Manufacturing a Box
- Units 4 and 8 Automata modeling and cams in motion;
- Unit 5 Force Stability and Reindeer Design
- Other modeling and Automoblox geometrical design updates
- Expanded Excel projects in Units 3, 4, 5, 8.
- Shared practices to facilitate the revised IED course and use of new Courses and Community resources.
*All attendees are asked to bring laptops with IED Inventor software loaded. (IED Automata project and other workshop supplies will be provided for participants.)
*See detailed IED Curriculum Revision Summary charts in your myPLTW Courses IED Teacher Edition for advance review.
A detailed agenda for each Workshop Session, along with driving and parking directions, will be sent to those who confirm their availability to attend (please register online at least one week prior to each session).
For further information or questions, please contact Brenda Pacey, Illinois PLTW Affiliate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 244-5217.